Saturday 24 October 2009

Still in recession or turning in Jan?

So things are worse than clever people thought (BBC). And the recent figures from my business support this as I wrote earlier about worrying signs. However a BT survey published this week says that 75% of SMEs think things are going to turn up in Jan next year! If I was writing this earlier in the week I might have taken some comfort from the BT report findings. But today, as Britain is confirmed into the worst recession since records began in 1955, I find it hard to be optimistic. October is always a low month for my biz but if this month finishes as it started I have to go back to Oct 07 to find worse monthly figures. At this rate all the growth we've managed to maintain in 2009 will be all but wiped out and whether this year finishes up or down on 2008 will be entirely dependant on the Christmas period. Like us, I'm sure that the SMEs participating in the BT survey have been investing in both technology and staff in the hope of being well placed for the expected recovery. And I quite agree with Digby Jones when he says that embedding technology in the heart of a business is vital to both future growth and current survival but unlike the BT SMEs, my worry is increasing not decreasing. We're lucky to have zero debt, a healthy market position, apparently weakening competition, good technology and great staff. But if October's figures are the start of a second dip, our recent investment could come to look rash. I hope I'm wrong.


1 comment:

  1. Hello,
    My name is Siddharth Pandya and I’m a business student from the U.K. I am currently pursuing an M.B.A (Information Management) from the University of Wales, Lampeter and have chosen blog based marketing as my dissertation topic. More specifically, my research aims to investigate the effectiveness of blog based marketing to small businesses. Through this study I intend to investigate the perception, attitude, and motivation of corporate / business bloggers that drive individuals /businesses to incorporate blogs as a marketing tool. In order to accomplish the same, I need to survey and conduct interviews with a number of business bloggers who would be willing to take part in this study. I have read your posts and updates on your blog http://uksme.blogspot.com/, and am optimistic that you would be able to provide valuable insights into the area of business blogging. I am planning to carry out interviews and surveys by e-mail or phone sometime in this month (i.e. December 09). Therefore, I request you to take a part in this project and provide your valuable insight to this study.

    All participants would have full access to my research, all undertakings with respect to confidentiality/ anonymity would be adhered to.

    ReplyDelete