Tuesday 31 March 2009

Web TV - Old into New

Went to the launch of something called Policy Review Interactive last night. A political gathering more than anything else given some of the attendees/speakers (Ed Vaizey MP and Derek Draper) and its location in Millbank Tower, previous home to the UK Labour Party now the base for Conservative election planning. Ironic?

Policy Review is an interesting biz in that it draws heavily on the conference work of its parent company Neil Stewart Associates (NSA). [I was once the publisher of Policy Review Magazine and worked for NSA so I have some insight into the biz.] Neil's premise is that the time is now right to start making money from digital content of this type (mainly speeches from public policy conferences). He's a successful biz-man so I have to assume he knows what he's talking about. And it appears that there are many public sector professionals who will pay £150 to see or hear a conference they couldn't attend for £450. But it seems to me, forgive me Neil, that this is old biz thinking imposing itself on new biz models. I may be wrong and maybe it doesn't matter as Policy Review will generate more interest in the conference biz, so job done. But I think I still see a lot of existing businesses trying to tack web apps onto their existing model, when surely what we've learnt to date is that you need to start from scratch when doing biz on the web isn't it?

1 comment:

  1. Nice blog.. keep update..
    i m searching web tv.. can some one help me to stream a tv channel.
    WebTv Channels

    ReplyDelete